Take Back Control with This Simple Process

Do you ever feel out of control of your world? So many things are out of our control; the choices that our grown children make, the global economy, the weather – the list goes on and on. But the things that are within your control have a huge impact on your life. Your attitude toward life is what determines your actions, which determine the outcome. 

Our actions are dictated by our perspective and interpretation of reality. If you are basically pessimistic, for example, you will make decisions that draw more negativity into your life. These will be fear-based actions and decisions, which usually result in a negative outcome. A more optimistic individual is likely to draw desirable events into their life. An optimist will try new things, take emotional risks, and enjoy the outcome. Which way do you tip the scale; toward optimism or pessimism? If you are generally negative, think about how you feel, both emotionally and physically. Could your world be better? Could your health be better? Perhaps it’s time for a change. 

Do Less, Accomplish More

Work at home moms are natural multi-taskers, and though that tendency is often to thank for the ability to cram an endless list of personal, professional and family activities and tasks into one day, it may not be the best move for your professional productivity. Mary Czerwinski, one of the leading authorities in the field of “interruption science” has researched the impact of multi-tasking at companies like Microsoft. Her studies reveal that workers take, on average, 15 minutes to return to serious mental tasks after responding to incoming email messages that interrupted the work at hand. Worse yet, there’s only a 60 percent chance that you’ll return to an original task with real focus post-interruption. The other 40 percent of the time, attention wanders towards other distractions, creating an endless cycle of partial attention. Though it may be counterintuitive to your work at home mom instincts, focusing one task at a time could actually lead to a more rewarding day. Here’s how to do it.

Understanding Basic Accounting

Many small businesses hire an accountant to take care of their books.  If you can afford it, that’s usually a good idea because time is your most valuable resource and should be spent actively running and managing your business.  It still makes sense to have an understanding and appreciation of what your accountant is doing for you.  This will help avoid surprises and allow you to talk intelligently about financial decisions that affect your bottom line.

In the old days, accountants often wore green eyeshades to reduce eyestrain caused by early incandescent lights.  Their handwritten ledgers have been replaced by computer software that can produce instantaneous reports and statements.  The purpose of this article is to provide a basic understanding of the accounting process.